Sunday, September 14, 2008

Damn you IKE! You flooded our basement

That's right...the 2+days that it has been raining straight in Illinois proved to be too much for our pump, which quit so conviently during the middle of the Bears game. We went downstairs to check out some annoying alarm going off. My VERY smart husband happened to buy a flood alert 6+ years ago when we moved here. Thank goodness for his thoughtfulness! It saved our basement!

I think it took about an hour to get the pump working again, after many failed attempts. We ended up only having about 2-3" of water, and since our basement is a split level-it only affected 1/2 of the room. I moved out the toys and stuff as quickly as I could as PJ worked on the pump. Then I ran and got the help of our awesome neighbor, who helped Pete with some stuff, like moving our heavy, HEAVY couch and the chair. Curt ripped up the carpet, I ripped up the padding, and Pete carried load after load after load (etc.) upstairs to the garage. Then we swept and shoveled the water to the pump. Once the pump started working, the water left quick.

I have a lot of laundry to do-like towels and such, and we purchased some fans to dry things out. Underneath the stairs is cleaned out-thanks to Pete and Cozzo. I guess I can go through that stuff now vs. this spring! ahaha

Luckily the water didn't even climb the bottom stair-so our carpet on the higher level in the basement is all good-as are all the toys and furniture. Thankgoodness (again) for Pete's smart move 6 years ago, our neighbor-Curt, and Cozzo. Whew. Now-it's time to relax...I mean do homework.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Damn - At least you were home and not away on vaca or something. You really got lucky - way to go Pete!!