Monday, May 2, 2011

Proud To Be American

If you were alive and over the age of 15, you will probably always remember exactly where you were on September 11, 2001.  I was at work and didn't really grasp the concept of what really happened.  Peter was in the car, pulling out of the parking lot to go to work and parked to go back home to watch the news.  Throughout the day, we all watched as the horror became reality.  The biggest attack on US soil.  Scary.  Frightening.  Surreal.  Over 2,000 people died that day; innocent victims to a terror attack based on religious and political differences (aren't most wars, though?).

On December 13, 2003 Saddam Hussein was captured.  I will forever remember where I was when that happened as well.  Peter and I sat in a hospital room holding our first born as we watched the news of the day unfold.  We found him in a hole; we had captured him.

On May 1, 2011 Osama Bin Laden, the man behind the 9/11 attacks was killed by US Navy Seals.  Once again, I will forever remember where I was when I heard the news.  I sat on the couch, watching the news unfold, listening to Barack Obama's amazing speech.  Peter sat on the blue chair doing the same thing.  He watched Twitter updates, and I had political banter on Facebook with some Republican friends.  Social media has changed quite a bit in the past 10 years, and I see more now than ever how divided our country sadly continues to be.  No matter your political alliance, you cannot deny that this happened during Obama's presidency.  Democrats are forever being said they are too soft on National Security, so slow to react, etc.  However, none of us knew that for years, Obama has continued to be on Bin Laden's tail, never relenting in the efforts to capture and kill our current adversary.  Many give him credit, many do not.  I do.  I give him credit for being our leader, for giving the order, for never giving up.  He may not have pulled the trigger to literally kill Bin Laden, but in the same aspect, Bin Laden never flew a plane into any buildings in the US...he just ordered the attacks (and we give him credit for that).

No matter your political alliance, conservative or liberal, today is a day we should come together and be proud to be an American...like we did almost 10 years ago.

Today, Delaney and Katie showed their American Pride...


siggy
post divider

No comments: