Tuesday, March 6, 2012

One of THOSE Days!

This happened about 2 or so months ago, but I thought I had shared it already.  Anyway, Katie was at the table and I hear her say "Oh shit!" 

Now, I'm not a huge fan of my kids swearing...after all, they are only 8, 6, and 3 (the one year old doesn't talk).  However, I don't punish them for it either.  They don't swear at school, in public, etc.  And, usually the word we hear is "Damn it" which is courtesy of me.  I really don't think that is a big deal.  Besides, saying "Dang it" or "Damn it" is the same in my eyes.  As is "oh shoot" and "oh shit."  Why?  Because you're saying it with the same intention.  Kind of like when I was little and instead of giving my brother the middle finger (because it's bad and I might get in trouble), I would give him the index finger.  Well, I was pissed and the meaning was the same.

Anyway. I do try to redirect my children's words when they do swear, as I want them to know that most people and in most places, it's considered inappropriate. 

Katie: "Oh Shit!"
Me: "Katie!  What did you just say?"
Katie: "You know what mom?  Some times you have 'Oh Shit' days and today I'm having one."

Hm.  Good enough for me.

siggy
post divider

No comments: